Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

March 11 Update--Corona Virus Update and the Potential for School Closings

Laker Family,


I had the opportunity this morning to meet with local health department officials regarding the threat of the Corona Virus (COVID-19) in our community and the potential need to cancel school.  At this time, it is not recommended by officials that we close schools.  Governor Andy Beshear held a conference call yesterday afternoon with state school superintendents where he indicated that, even if he were to recommend school closings across the state,  the actual decision to close schools would remain at the local level.  Calloway County Health Department officials emphasized this morning that we currently have no known cases of COVID-19 in Calloway County or the surrounding area, and that decisions regarding the disruption of our daily routines should be reserved for a time when the threat to our community is prevalent.  As each of you know, information and circumstances are changing minute by minute, and hour by hour.  With this in mind, administrators are making plans to prepare in the event that we do realize the need to close our campuses.  In the near future we will be communicating with parents to seek information regarding the availability of technology in each household.  Please monitor social media, our school website, and your personal email for updates.  We will continue to work with the Kentucky Department of Education, the Kentucky Health Department, local health-care leaders, and other state officials to bring you the most up-to-date information as it relates to future developments.  Thank you for your patience as we share this difficult time together. 


Tres Settle, Superintendent

Calloway County Schools

Back to School News      Print News Article